Also used for aesthetic reasons, crowns can be made of porcelain or a ceramic, although for extra strength and durability gold or metal alloy can be used on rear teeth.
Our crowns are made to a high standard with only TGA approved materials. Our lab is local, and together we offer a reliable service and warranties.
Having a crown generally requires two appointments. The first is the longer and involves several preparatory steps:
- taking impressions for the temporary solution while the crown is manufactured
- resizing and shaping the natural tooth
- if a bridge is required, the two teeth either side of the missing tooth are prepared
- taking impressions from which the crown or bridge will be made
- making and fitting the temporary crown or bridge
- the impression is sent to the dental technician to be made which usually takes 10 working days
Around two weeks later, at a shorter appointment:
- the temporary crown or bridge is removed and the tooth cleaned
- checking the shape and colour is correct
- permanently cementing the crown
- and checking the occlusion or ‘bite together’